It can prove difficult to be allergic to dogs when you happen to love dogs, however, there are measures you can take in order to reduce suffering from allergies. We’ve gone ahead and listed the top ten dog breeds known for carrying the most allergens. It’s a helpful list if you’re looking for a new canine friend, or if you already own one of these breeds specifically we’ve come up with some workaround methods to consider.
The Top 10 Dog Breeds with the Most Allergens
Here is a list of the top 10 dog breeds with the most allergens:
- Basset Hound
- Boston Terrier
- Doberman Pinscher
- German Shepherd
- Labrador Retriever
- Saint Bernard
- Siberian Husky
These breeds are all known for shedding heavily, which can release allergens into the air. They also tend to have oily skin, which can produce more dander. Dander is the dead skin cells that dogs shed, and it is what most people are allergic to.
How to Reduce an Allergic Reaction from Dogs
If you have allergies, it is important to be aware of these breeds and to avoid them if possible. However, there are still some things you can do to reduce your risk of an allergic reaction if you do choose to get one of these breeds.
Here are a few tips on how to reduce allergic reactions:
- Bathe your dog regularly. This will help to remove dander and other allergens from their fur.
- Brush your dog regularly. This will help to remove loose hair and dander before it has a chance to become airborne.
- Vacuum your home regularly. This will help to remove allergens from the air.
- Consider getting an air purifier. CritterZone is designed to remove pet fur, dander, and other allergens to lessen the effects.
Even if you follow these tips, there is still a chance that you may experience an allergic reaction to your dog. If you do, it is important to see an allergist. They can help you to manage your allergies and to find ways to enjoy your pet without feeling miserable.
Important Factors to Consider When Considering a Certain Dog Breed
Here are some additional things to keep in mind if you are considering getting a dog and you have allergies:
- The severity of your allergies will play a role in determining which breed is right for you. If you have mild allergies, you may be able to get away with owning a breed that is known to be allergenic. However, if you have severe allergies, you may need to choose a breed that is known to be hypoallergenic.
- It is important to meet the dog in person before you bring it home. This will give you a chance to see how you react to the dog’s dander and saliva.
- If you do start to experience an allergic reaction after you bring your dog home, you may need to take steps to reduce your exposure to allergens. This may include bathing your dog more often, vacuuming more often, or getting an air purifier.
Owning a dog can be a wonderful experience, even if you have allergies. By following these tips, you can reduce your risk of an allergic reaction and enjoy the companionship of a furry friend.
Want to know which cat breeds carry the most allergens? Read this blog.
CritterZone – Air Purifier for Pets and You – Pet Odor Eliminator
Create a Thriving Environment for You and Your Pets